State Park, Trail History, Lodging, Driving Directions: also see park map at bottom
Race Rules & Course Flagging: read & heed!
Email List: join for race updates
USSMA License Apply: mandatory for full competitive course
Registration: morning-of race also available (add'l $10)
2019 Schedule for February 23 (Saturday):
[Note the historical 50/50 chance of being moved to our back-up venue, now at Catamount.]
9:00 = Registration & bib pick-up opens, Greylock Glen gazebo (see park map below).
9:30 = Registration & bib pick-up closes; pre-race briefing begins.
9:35 = Group skin up ~230' vert (follow pink flags) to start / ski>skin transition / finish.
9:55 = Approximate start time.
2:30 = Results, with prizes for the full course's top finishers, at Thunderfest.
This backcountry ski race is entirely self-supported, with no aid stations anywhere.
A limited number of ski patrollers will be on duty, but expect both response and extrication times to be far longer than at a resort.
- Click HERE for full explanation of course flagging colors and rules.
- Full Competitive Course = three cycles of circuit comprising: skin to Thunderbolt top (but not to summit) > partial ski descent > short bootpack > full ski descent.
- Shorter Recreational Course = up to three laps of skin & ski (no boot).
- Course details below in topo map (click top right to open in CalTopo) and table.
- Recommend bringing larger backpack (in addition to race pack) with warmer clothes & extra food/water for waiting before/after the race at start/finish (i.e., ~230' vertical above registration/parking).
- As shown below, from West Road, turn onto Gould Road
- Instead of continuing straight onto Thiel Road, sharp left to stay on Gould Road, alongside which you can park on the right.
- Registration & bib pick-up at the map's starred gazebo location, which is visible from the road.
- Facilities here are limited to nonexistent, so consider stopping first in town (examples here & here).