Reservation Website, Trail Club Website, Driving Directions: also see park map at bottom
Race Rules & Course Flagging: read & heed!
Email List: join for race updates
USSMA License Apply: mandatory for full competitive course
Registration: morning-of race also available, at add'l cost
2018 RACE MOVED TO BERKSHIRE EAST:
All details are at the Berkshire East page.
9:00 = Registration & bib pick-up opens, Greylock Glen gazebo (see park map below).
9:30 = Registration & bib pick-up closes; pre-race briefing begins.
9:40 = Group skin up ~500' vert (follow pink flags) to start/ski>skin transition/finish.
10:15 = Approximate start time.
2:30 = Results, with prizes for the full course's top finishers, at Thunderfest.
This backcountry ski race is entirely self-supported, with no aid stations anywhere.
A limited number of ski patrollers will be on duty, but expect both response and extrication times to be far longer than at a resort.
- Click HERE for full explanation of course flagging colors and rules.
- Full Competitive Course = ~5,000' vertical comprising three circuits of: skintrack to top of Thunderbolt (but well shy of summit), partial ski descent, followed by short bootpack, then the remaining descent.
- Shorter Recreational Course = up to three laps of skinning & skiing (no booting).
- Course details below in topo map (click top right to open in CalTopo) and table.
- Recommend bringing larger backpack (in addition to race pack) with warmer clothes & extra food/water for waiting before/after the race at start/finish (i.e., ~500' vertical above registration/parking).
- As shown below, from West Road, turn onto Gould Road
- Just before the winter closure of Thiel Road, turn left to continue along Gould Road, alongside which you can park.
- Registration & bib pick-up at the map's starred gazebo location, which is visible from the road.
- Facilities here will be limited to nonexistent, so consider stopping first in town (examples here & here).